Monday, March 03, 2014

Breakfast Smoothies


I've spoken about my love for juicing and smoothies before, but over the past couple of years I have really become almost addicted to drinking at least one a day.  Typically this serves as my breakfast, but I have had them for dinner as well.  

With the cold winter weather in New York it is really hard to find any fresh, good quality vegetables and fruits, so I have switched my routine up a bit.  Instead of full whole vegetables I have been supplementing my smoothies with nutritional powders that have served me quite well.  After having about 5 colds at the start of the winter, I have managed to stay healthy for the past month or so.  I contribute the turn around to the antioxidant smoothie listed below, which also serves as a meal.  Try them out for a healthy boost!

Spirulina Smoothie
adapted from Hungry for Change

1 cucumber
1/4 pineapple
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful of spinach
3 kale leaves
1 avocado
4 tsp spirulina powder
1/2 cup of water
6-8 ice cubes

Blend and drink!  This makes two large twenty ounce smoothies.

Combat Cold Smoothie

Handful of raspberries
Handful of blueberries
2 Tbsp pomegranate avrils (if in season)
1 scoop Garden of Life Perfect Food Powder (cacao flavored)
1/2 scoop Garden of Life Raw Meal (vanilla flavored)
1 tsp nut butter of your choice (I use almond)
1 tsp coconut butter (optional)
a sprinkle of ground flax seed
a sprinkle of chia seeds
a sprinkle of bee pollen
1/2-1 cup of coconut milk (depending on the consistency you like)
4-6 ice cubes

Blend and drink right away, this one doesn't save very well.  Makes 1 smoothie.  You can get the Garden of Life powders as well as some of the other obscure ingredients at Vitacost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Comments Welcomed Here. Thanks!